Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What a day!

I have to say yesterday was a little overwhelming for this gal. I had the wonderful experience of this brand new feeling of pain in my right shoulder. Pain that is so horrible that it breaks you down and shows people that you can be weak, that was me yesterday. I guess I proved to myself that I can’t always beat the pain, however I did tough it out and made it till when I had an appointment with my rheumatologist to address the ankle flair.
Well 3:30 came around and I finally got into see the doc at 4:30, which I really didn’t care I was just happy that they got me in when I called the day before and I knew I was about to be satisfied with some cortisone. Don’t get me wrong I really am not a fan of steroid injections, I just really like how they temporarily fix the problem. Well it turns out the shoulder pain is primarily muscle issues so she did 3 injections of lidocaine which helped a little bit, however I will be going back for another round of acupuncture soon as she usually knows how to fix these “issues”.

Anyways enough about that, lets get to the good part of the evening where I was feeling good enough to make a good dinner. I was able to stop at the Food Co-op in St. Peter and pick up some things like asparagus and red potatoes for dinner. I also had to get some oats and flax seed meal for the recipe I’m about to share with you. We fired up the grill last night and had chicken, grilled asparagus (marinated in extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar and garlic salt mmm) and totally failed potatoes but they still tasted good, just didn’t look good. I also took the time to make a pinterest find of baked oatmeal. The recipe came from sugarfreemom.com. It is as follows:
2 eggs
2 cups applesauce (I only had 1 cup so substituted with 1 mashed banana)
5 cups rolled oats
1 banana mashed
2 ¾ cups milk
¼ c. flaxseed meal
6 packets of stevia/or 1.5 tsps stevia powder
1 tbls cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
Toppings of choice
Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees. Prep 18 muffin cups either with liners or spray with non stick spray. In a bowl mix the eggs, vanilla, applesauce, banana and stevia together. In a separate bowl mix the rolled oats, flaxseed meal, cinnamon and salt. Pour the dry into the wet  and mix, then pour in the milk and stir until combined. Put milk in prepared muffin tins (I filled mine all the way to the top). I then took chopped pecans and mini chocolate chips as that is what I had on hand. You could use raisins, walnuts, etc. whatever you like. If you use fruit mix it into the batter before putting in tins. Bake for 30 minutes. It was recommended on her site that you can freeze them and take one out and put it in the fridge to thaw overnight and it will be ready in the morning. I warmed mine up and poured a little bit of almond milk over it. I ate two this morning along with my greek yogurt and was filled up! Such a great breakfast.



Supper, best part was the asparagus!


Being in the kitchen after a day like yesterday was wonderful. It is definitely the place I feel like I can distress and enjoy myself, and make things that my family enjoys.

This is the baked oatmeal with a little bit of
almond milk.

Here is one with the pecans and chocolate


No comments:

Post a Comment