Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Two weeks until...

I want to first start out this post thanking everyone for the overwhelming support that you all expressed either on Facebook, email, texts, phone calls and in person! Holy cow do you all know how to make a gal with some unexpected issues feel special! Thank you! I left the last post not knowing what was going to happen next.

Well I now know what is about to happen next. Two weeks from today, on Alex's 8th birthday, I will be having surgery. The surgery that is coming up is not cataract surgery like I hoped it would be. Instead it is the evisceration of my right eye. I have brought this surgery up before as it was brought up to me when my flair in my right eye was not controlled by steroid drops. I will not go into too much detail about evisceration as the thought of it is really just disgusting. During this same day surgery, the surgeon will take off the cornea and remove everything in the shell of my eye and place a hollow ball inside the eye to keep the shape of my eye and then suture it closed and place a clear lens over the eye. My eye will then just be closed until the permanent lens is in place. This is not the same as an enucleation, which was the typical way to get rid of a "dead"eye. I will wear a patch for the first two weeks and then wait 6-8 weeks from surgery until I have my implant made and placed over my eye. When I think about it, it give me a little bit of anxiety. Next week I have a feeling the anxiety will kick up. It's not about surgery, I think it's more about what they will be doing during surgery that make me anxious. If you're lucky, you may just see some after pictures!

Two weeks ago my clock started for cataract surgery. What that means is, if my left eye can remain stable I will be able to have the cataract removed. If the inflammation returns, the clock will start over. In the past 2.5 years that this has been going on, I have yet to go three months inflammation free. I'm hopeful that my Remicade will work to keep the inflammation down. The cataract has been stable up until a couple days ago when I noticed more troubles with blurred vision. The strong drops that I'm trying to get away from can cause the cataract to grow faster, along with the inflammation.

i received my itinerary from Mayo today, I guess I'm not too worried about staying busy! I also have lots of baking to do, a dresser to refinish, a garden to plan, great friends to visit with, etc.

Thanks again for all the support!!

No comments:

Post a Comment