Monday, April 16, 2012

Antibiotics to treat JRA

The last couple months have been a flair. It is frustrating to know that my options to get this flair and other flairs under control are minimal. Like I have said before, the westernized medications are not working for me like they have in the past. Knowing that this is the case it can become very depressing. I’m so thankful that I have my mental health and can have a positive attitude (most of the time) when I don’t feel good. I will admit I can be crabby when I don’t feel good, but I get over it, and I shouldn’t have to be happy go lucky all the time, especially when I don’t feel good!
Today I went in for a follow up with Dr. J. I let him know that things are just not working anymore, and my stomach is starting to act up as well. He decided it was time to start the antibiotic treatment (I have been waiting for this!). What some physicians believe and what has worked for patients is that antibiotics are used to treat arthritis. When I first heard of this treatment a couple years ago I thought it was crazy! Now I can’t wait to try it. I have done some research on line and for those of you interested in this check out roadback.org. I have to try and get my stomach and yeast in check before I start the Minocin treatment. It was recommended by Dr. J that I start a couple supplements. The first is Inflammacore and then three days later start Intestanol, three days later I will be on the Minocin 50mg 2/day. I really feel this is one of my last options I have along with diet changes so I will be praying that this is what helps me. Typically people will do 5 days of IV antibiotic twice a day for 5 days which really knocks people out but can be very affective. Due to my other issues Dr. J decided to try and experiment with the oral treatment. If it starts to work I will do the IV treatment as well.
I can’t wait to blog about how this treatment will go! If it works it will be substantially cheaper than the other IV treatments I have tried and it will also attack the bacteria that is believed to have caused my JRA. So a cheap treatment (for the oral, not the IV) that will make me feel better and get to the root of the JRA instead of covering it up, I hope this is true!

No comments:

Post a Comment